Saturday 22 January 2011

Last orders?

Reports come to the Observatory that two fine old pubs in Nottingham face an uncertain future.

I have been drinking in these pubs on and off for over 30 years, and I would hate the thought of them closing and becoming yet more offices or retail space. The Salutation in particular is such a part of the city's history that it would be a terrible loss if some way cannot be found to keep it going as a pub.

I have fond memories from the late 70s when there were two big youth tribes out there - the heavies/hairies and the punks. I remember some lairy Thursday, Friday and Saturday nights in and around Slab Square when there would be a goodly number of each lot on either side of the square, with Tug Wilson standing majestically in the middle, keeping the Queen's Peace. Thursdays, I hear you say? Oh yes, in the old days Thursday was payday, and there'd be plenty out in town. It was in those days, and into the 80s, that the Salutation top room had a reverse dress code: if you didn't look grungy enough (for which read: long hair, denim, leather, patchouli) you'd be strongly advised not to bother. (Mrs QO and I didn't have any trouble gaining admission.)

The Sally of late has still been a welcome home to those who like rock, blues and good beer, though it's a little gentler all round to my mind. No bad thing, let us say, and the building itself is one of the appallingly few authentic old ones left after our city fathers wrecked most of the rich architectural heritage of this old town. I hope that both these pubs can be saved, though in today's climate I fear it will be difficult. It may be a harsh choice: sacrifice the Royal Children for redevelopment, to save the Salutation. I would hope that it doesn't come to that.

No comments:

Post a Comment