Tuesday 16 November 2010

The price of freedom



My business in London concluded, I stepped into a pub near Euston for a drop of lunch before getting a train. Spotting a handpump offering Thwaites 'Liberation', a beer I'm fond of, I thought that would be the perfect choice to celebrate the long-awaited release of Aung San Suu Kyi.

"Three thirty-two," said the pretty child behind the bar.

"Why, thank you for the reminder," said I, "but my train is actually at three fifteen."

"No, ze drink, iz three thirty-two."

I believe I lost consciousness for a moment, but a steely inner core kept me upright, albeit not exactly perpendicular.

"Young lady. I require one pint, not a lifetime supply."

She shrugged. "Iz three thirty-two."

See, this is where being English is such a pain in the arse. A Frenchman would start shouting and waving his arms... would probably still be shouting and waving his arms... while a Scot would simply turn round and walk out. But Mr English can't abide being thought of as poor, provincial, or just plain stingy. Most of the English are all three, of course, and I certainly am myself, but one hates to make it obvious.

Now, I do have quite a lot of Welsh in me, and I dare say that if an impi of Zulu warriors had appeared I might have managed a chorus of Men of Harlech, but I was brought up in Lincoln. Enough said.

And I suppose the waif behind the bar wasn't directly responsible for the grasping avarice of her employer. She was trying to better her life through hard work, and who can fault her there; I couldn't quite place her accent, but she was clearly from one of those benighted outposts of humanity like Tirana or Rotherham. Enough misery for one lifetime, I thought, so I let her live and contented myself with the usual petty revenges: handing over the disgustingly tatty and greasy five-pound note kept in the quarantine section of the wallet for just such purposes. And, naturally, pointedly not taking the empty glass back to the bar.

While drinking I got on the Blackberry and e-mailed the Burmese Embassy to say that I was delighted they'd let her go, but if they do bang her up again, could they keep her in this time, as I couldn't afford this twice in a lifetime.

I'm only joking. I could afford it again, but it would still hurt, even though Liberation is a quite splendid ale, and good to see it so far from its Blackburn home.
Going back some years, Thwaites was one of those brewers whose beers didn't travel over well and on the odd occasions you saw it out of its own territory, it was probably not worth trying. Theakstons out of Yorkshire and Castle Eden out of County Durham were the same. But I can report, happily, that the Liberation was drinking well in London this afternoon.

Oh, and for the avoidance of doubt, Aung San Suu Kyi is a hero of mine and I'm delighted to see her at liberty.

4 comments:

  1. Can't comment on the beer as I'm not really a drinking man (or not a discerning drinking man actually) but I'm with you on Aung San Suu Kyi. Great to see her free at last. Just proves that there is some good in the world after all... here and there... every now and then.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Indeed, Alan. I only hope that she stays at liberty and stays well. I can't help thinking about Benazir Bhutto who was assassinated two months after being allowed to return to Pakistan. It's always convenient for a repressive regime to be able to say: 'they didn't die in our custody, nothing to do with us...'

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is why I don't drink in pubs. They take the piss with their prices, basically. Same with food - why if possible I never eat it.

    £10 for a cheese salad? Or some beans, salad, and a spoonful of rice? Don't think so. I prefer a flask, a can of four for the same price or less than their silly pint, and a few bits and bobs from a corner shop - if I'm out and about, say on a walk.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Inclined to agree, though I like the pub 'atmosphere' and try and support - as far as my limited means will allow - some of the good local alehouses. But pubs do rip the arse out of it, to be crude. The example I gave above used to be about average in their prices (for London), but evidently they've decided that their position right by Euston station means they can get away with it. Another one off the list!

    ReplyDelete